Australian Health Care System

Australian Health Care System

This article provides information and links to resources that will help you understand the Australian Health System. This information changes regularly so please check all details with the relevant government authority.

The Australian Government funds three major national health schemes, Medicare, the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS) and the 30% Private Health Insurance Rebate. These are funded via taxes and the income based Medicare Levy.

Get Medicare after you arrive. See how to below.

Do you have health insurance in NZ?
For the same reasons you should get health insurance in Australia

Australian residents are proactively encouraged to take out Private Health Cover (Health Insurance) to compliment Medicare services, including the 30% Health Insurance Rebate:

Suggested Health Care To Do List:

  1. Before settling in Australia obtain medical records for each member of your family (including immunisation records for the children - these are often asked for by schools and daycare centres).

  2. Research Private Health Insurance in Australia.

  3. One week after arriving in Australia visit or phone your local Medicare Office to enroll.

  4. Once you have been issued with your Medicare Card take it with you when:
    1. you visit a doctor
    2. or hospital
    3. when you have a prescription filled
    4. make a claim at a medicare office

  5. Consider registering for the Medicare Safety Net (keep your medical receipts).

  6. Let Medicare know if you change your address.

  7. If you have children visit the Australia Government Immunisation page.

Let us know in the comments section below if there is anything else you need to know we will do some research and add it to our online resources if possible.

Medicare Australia

Medicare is a publicly funded universal health care scheme in Australia. Operated by the government authority Medicare Australia, Medicare is the primary funder of health care in Australia, funding primary health care for Australian citizens and permanent residents (except for those on Norfolk Island).

Residents are entitled to subsidised treatment from medical practitioners, eligible midwives, nurse practitioners and allied health professionals who have been issued a Medicare provider number, and can also obtain free treatment in public hospitals.

Find more information on Medicare Australia here.

Private Health Insurance

If you are making plans to move to Australia, applying for health insurance is an important part of the process. Aside from that, it's always a good idea to prepare for the unexpected.

In Australia, the public health system Medicare covers most Australian residents for health care. However, Medicare does not cover everything and you can choose to take out private health insurance to give yourself a wider range of health care options and more comprehensive cover.

There are two types of health insurance: hospital & general treatment (ancillary or extras). You can buy them separately or most funds offer combined policies. There will be limitations on what and when you can claim with any policy you buy.

Click here to get a competitive health insurance quote instantly, including different cover options.

The Private Health Insurance Rebate is a federal government subsidy for the cost of insurance, while the Lifetime Health Cover rules are designed to encourage people to purchase private health cover earlier and to stay covered. The Medicare Levy Surcharge is a tax that affects people earning above a certain threshold who don't hold private hospital cover.

If you are in Australia on a temporary student visa or if you are applying for a visa subclass 457, it is a visa condition that you take out private health cover. If you are visiting Australia on any other visa, you should consider taking out some cover for the duration of your stay.

Find out more about Private Health Insurance here or get a quote instantly including different cover options.

Why do you need Health Insurance in Australia?

Private health insurance is important because there are things Australia's Medicare system does not cover. The same reasons you have Health Insurance in New Zealand apply in Australia.

With Health Insurance you'll get access to elective surgery, probably with your choice of doctor, in the comfort of a private hospital without having to wait months or even years.

In Australia, the taxpayer-funded Medicare health care system covers many medical, hospital and pharmaceutical costs. Under this system you can be treated as a public patient, at no charge, in a public hospital by a doctor appointed by the hospital.

However, as a public patient, you have to wait your turn and you are at the mercy of waiting lists for doctors and procedures. The same as in New Zealand.

The benefits of private health insurance include a greater choice of doctor than you would get in the public system, access to a private hospital that might be more comfortable than the public one, and probably a shorter wait for some forms of elective (non-urgent) surgery.

In the public system, if you need elective rather than emergency surgery you may have to wait months or even years. But with private health insurance you may be able to have elective surgery within weeks, possibly at a time and place convenient to you.

In addition, some forms of health care are not available for free in the public system. You have to meet the costs of your regular visits to the dentist, for instance.

Health Insurance Benefit Checklist:

Depending on the policy you take out, and within the annual maximum payouts set by the policy, private health insurance can cover costs such as:

  • Hospital expenses (theatre fees or accommodation) in a private hospital
  • Ambulance fees
  • Chiropractic treatment
  • Home nursing
  • Podiatry
  • Physiotherapy, occupational, speech and eye therapy
  • 'Complementary' therapies such as acupuncture
  • Glasses and contact lenses
  • Dental care
  • Pharmaceutical costs

Click here for more information on Health Insurance in Australia, how to join and what different cover options cost.

Add comment


0 # ANSWER: Maternity leave and careMTA Team 2015-08-26 07:01
Hi Sarah,

Thank you for your enquiry.

You are automatically entitled to the baby bonus, which works out very similar to maternity leave. You do not need to have worked for a certain period of time, you just need to have your baby in Australia. You can read more about it here:

I recommend you read the information on the below page, which covers before you baby is born, when your baby is born and after the baby is born and tools and extra information:

Good luck with your move.
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
0 # Maternity leave and careSarah goldsmith 2015-08-26 05:16
Hi team, great website resource. I just wondered if you could let me know what an NZ citizens entitlement to maternity leave is and if midwife care is full funded? I doubt I will have worked in AU for a year or more (definately will have in NZ though) when we move. Hubby is an AU citizen so I'm not sure if that will help.
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
0 # ANSWER: SCV and MedicareMTA Team 2015-07-06 04:59
Hi Ryan,

Thank you for your enquiry.

Yes your daughter will be granted a SCV on entry and is eligible for Medicare.

You can find more information on Medicare enrollment for New Zealand citizens here, including the Medicare enrollment application form.

On a personal note, I took my month old son to the Brisbane hospital and found the service amazing, much better than Auckland, and it was completely free, even before I applied for Medicare.

Good luck with your move.
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
0 # SCV and MedicareRyan Wilson 2015-07-05 11:59
Hi there,

We are moving to Melbourne this August and we just want to ask about SCV and Medicare. Me and my wife are just resident here in New Zealand but our 4 months old baby is a New Zealand citizen, will she be eligible for Medicare? and is SCV automatically granted once she entered Australia? My wife and I have working visa to enter Australia.

Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
0 # ANSWER: Health CareMTA Team 2015-02-16 08:53
Hi Suzanne,

Thank you for your enquiry.

Do you have private healthcare in NZ? Australia works pretty similar to New Zealand.

Medicare does cover some things, generally what is also free in NZ, but for anything extra you will need private healthcare.

Click here for more information on Health Insurance in Australia, how to join and what different cover options are and how much they cost.

Hope the above answers your questions.
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
0 # Health CareSuzanne Cochrane 2015-02-13 23:57
Hi there myself & husband & 3 children plan on moving to australia. Can you advise me if we should take Private Healthcare ? Or is Healthcare for British Citizens living in Australia provided ?
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
0 # ANSWER: birth care for nz citizens living in perthMTA Team 2014-05-14 06:38
Hi Bridget,

Thank you for your enquiry.

After searching/readi ng for half an hour I have not found an answer to your question. It might pay to call Medicare or a pregnancy care provider and ask them.

However, you might be able to find some useful information on the Australian Government website regarding having a baby in Australia:

Good luck and please let me know what you get on.
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
0 # birth care for nz citizens living in perthBridget 2014-05-13 04:08
Hi there, we are moving to perth around xmas this year longterm with my Husband and hoping to start a family the year after as Im a nz cit will there be any help with pre and post birthcare or do we need health insurance this is the only part I'm worrying about can you please help with any info.
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
0 # ANSWER: Australian Childhood ImmunisationMTA Team 2014-03-26 04:33
Hi Vasa,

Thank you for your enquiry.

Unfortunately I have no knowledge on immunisations in Australia and can't find the answer on the web.

I recommend contacting a childcare in the area you are moving to, as they will be able to answer your question easily.

However, you will need to apply for Medicare. You need to apply in person at a Medicare office. It is recommended you wait one week after your arrival in Australia before applying, to allow time for Medicare to receive your visa details from the Department of Immigration and Multicultural and Indigenous Affairs. Please take your passport or travel document with you.

Good luck with your move.
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
0 # Australian Childhood ImmunisationVasa 2014-03-25 14:19
I have a three year old daughter that is up to date with her immunisations in New Zealand. She will be moving over in a month, and going straight into Daycare. I understand there are certain Immunisation requirements to have access to Child Care benefits, Repayments etc..

Is there a difference between NZ's Immunisation standards and Australian Childhood Immunisation? i.e: Will she need additional vaccines before coming to Australia?
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
0 # ANSWER: Existing medical condition. MTA Team 2014-01-16 04:07
Hi Vuong,

Thank you for your comment.

This is not something I can comment on. I recommend calling Medicare and asking them.

Good Luck
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
0 # ANSWER: medicare cover for babiesMTA Team 2013-12-02 07:59
Hi Mary,

Thank you for your email.

I believe you and your child are covered by Medicare. However, I would definitely recommend contacting them directly on +61 131 673 (International Services call centre).

Please let me know how you get on.
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
0 # medicare cover for babiesMary 2013-11-29 21:44
My husband has a New Zealand Passport I'm on a British passport and we will be moving to Australia in March (husband) / April (myself and baby) next year. I am due to have our fist child in January.

I am concerned how soon we (the baby and myself) would be eligible to medicare cover for things such as childhood immunisations as we will be arriving potentially just before the next set are due. I will be applying initially for a working visa then longer term for permanent residency and the baby under my visa. I was advised that as a British citizen I should have reciprocal medicare eligiabilty but it seems very hard to get definitive answers.
My husband has an offer of salaried work starting in March.
Thank you in advance for any advice or even advice on where to go to seek more answers!
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
0 # ANSWER: Paid maternity leaveMTA Team 2013-06-10 09:19
Hi Danielle,

Thank you for your enquiry.

There are a lot of factors that need to be taken into account with Australian Parental Leave Pay.

You can find all the information on the Australian Government Department of Human Services website:

It is probably easiest to simply give them a call 136 150 or visit one of their service centres.

Please comment again on how you get on to help other visitors to the site.

Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
0 # Paid maternity leaveDanielle 2013-06-07 14:18

Do you know if Kiwi's living in Australia are entitled to paid maternity leave if they have worked in Australia prior to going on leave?

Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
0 # ANSWER: Spina bifida childMTA Team 2013-03-12 03:36
Good morning,

Thank you for your comment.

This is quite a specialised area that I do not know much about sorry.

I recommend you do some Google searching and see what you find. Then join some Australia online community websites, where you can ask questions and talk to parents who would be able to help.

Below are some resources I find in the search 'help for parents with a Spina bifida child Australia':

- Australian Baby Center community website, where you can ask questions and find support:

- Spina Bifida Implications for schools:

Also when I searched 'government support for kids Spina bifida australia'. However, you will have to check/search for information in the territory you are looking at moving into:

- Spina Bifida Association Listservs bring people together online to discuss topics such as parenting a child with spina bifida and growing up with spina bifida:

I hope this has helped in some way.

Good Luck.
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
0 # Spina bifida child.Jamie Single 2013-03-06 12:01
We are moving to Brisbane in June with our three children. One has spina bifida. What we need to know is about accessing nappies, catheters etc and if we will have to pay for them. Also we were wondering about his wheelchair etc, will we need to buy one ourselves or is it the same as here in nz where they are provided.
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
0 # ANSWER: Health care for someone with ongoing conditionMTA Team 2013-01-14 01:10
Good morning Donna,

Thank you for your comment.

You should be able to get Medicare cover which will cover you for hospital admissions. However, it would not hurt to call them and discuss you circumstances with them, as they will be able to give you the best advice. Call Centrelink for free on 0800 441 248, they will be able to give you Medicare advice.

Please let me know how you get on as this information may also help others.

Kind Regards,
MTA Team
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
0 # Health care for someone with ongoing conditionDonna 2013-01-13 02:13
Good morning,

I have an 11yr old son with Cystic Fibrosis, a genetic life long condition that requires regular hospital admissions. Would he still be able to access the public system in Australia if we move there?

Thanks Donna
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
0 # ANSWER: SCVMTA Team 2012-05-01 06:29
Hi Kara,

Thank you for your enquiry.

Yes, Medicare is available to all New Zealanders living and working in Australia, because of the Special Category Visa (SCV).

Have you had a look at the Australia Government site on health insurance? This site allows you to compare health insurance policies ( It is a very helpful tool.

Please let me know if you require further information.

Kind Regards,
MTA Team
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
0 # SCVKara 2012-04-16 05:13
Is this definately available to all SCV NZ'ers or just those wanting perm.residence in Australia? In regards to medical insurance, is there a website that compares all the different options/costs available that you could recommend...
Thanks again
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote