Are you one of the many New Zealanders who are moving to Australia?
Australia is one of the main destinations for New Zealanders looking for a change of scenery, better climate, job opportunity/or the want to earn more, be closer to family/friends, new lifestyle or simply a change because we can move to Australia so easily from NZ.
Check out the below ‘To Do List’ to know what you need to do before you leave and what you need to do once you’re there.
Below is a general list of areas you will need to address when weighing up your potential move to Australia. It covers the big stuff you’ll need to organise when you are thinking/planning an international move.
Moving to Australia Checklist
After you’ve confirmed your fight to Australia and know your departure date, then you are going to need my moving to Australia checklist. It gives you a more detailed list of what you need to do 4 weeks before you move to Australia, two weeks, on move day and handy hints.
The moving to Australia process
Before you leave for Australia:
- Start looking for a job! Check out recruitment companies and get the process going.
- Find a school for your children. You will need an approximate move date to register your kids.
- Find some short term accommodation. It is highly recommend to give yourself some time to find which suburb suits you and your family best before you buy or rent any real estate in Australian or sign a fixed term agreement (one year).
- Book a moving company to pack and ship your household items. Save yourself time, money and stress.
- Setup a bank account before you leave. Then you can pick up your eftpos card as soon as you get there and start living (apply two weeks before you leave for Australia).
- Register with a foreign exchange/money transfer provider. They have sharper exchange rates than the banks and lower fees (or none if you register using this link: https://xe.com or https://nz.ofx.com.
- Get your documentation/paperwork ready! You will need character references, 100 points of identification.
- One month out, print out our Moving to Australia Checklist (Pre Move Planner).
- Sign up for our monthly newsletter (scroll). We stay on top of all news relating to kiwi’s living in Australia and send you the things you need to know.
- Let everyone that you deal with in NZ know you are moving to Australia:
– Doctor: advise you doctor you are moving and that when you find a new doctor you will request for your records to be transferred.
– IRD: they will talk through you individual circumstances and obligations with you.
After you arrive in Australia:
- Register with Medicare Australia. You will need to apply in person in a Medicare Office. Please remember to take your passport.
- Get a TFN (Australian Tax File Number). You are not able to apply from NZ. You can apply online here: https://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/tax-file-number/apply-for-a-tfn/foreign-passport-holders,-permanent-migrants-and-temporary-visitors—tfn-application/.
- Look for a rental property. Read this post to make sure you are prepared for the Australian rental market.
- Converting your NZ driving licence to an Australian licence. Find out how here.
- Buy a home in Australia.
- Look into becoming an Australian Permanent Resident and then Australia Citizen.
Good luck with you move and please feel free to ask any questions you have in the comment section at the bottom of each post.
Looking for something in particular?
I think I’ve written a post about everything moving to Australia related. So if you’re looking for something in particular use the search field (scroll) and type in a key word or two.
In the list of posts you should easily be able to find the answers to what you’re looking for. And if you don’t, ask me a question in the comment field at the bottom of each post and I’ll get back you with the answer or the research I’ve done to help you out.
Some posts that might interest you
Below are my top 20 most visited posts:
- Buying a house in Australia
- Driving and Licences in Australia
- Can a NZ citizen get an Australian benefit or pension?
- Are New Zealand citizens eligible for Australia’s First Home Owners Grant?
- Moving to Australia FAQ (make sure you read the comments)
- Australian Tax – what you need to know
- Having a baby in Australia
- Moving money to Australia from New Zealand
- Which city to move to in Australia
- Medicare Australia
- Open an Australian Bank Account
- Moving to Australia Checklist
- Become an Australian Permanent Resident then Australia Citizen
- Foreign Exchange/Money Transfer
- Do you have to pay tax on money transferred from overseas?
- A better life across the ditch
- Australian Health Care System
- SCV Visa Exclusions
- Moving Company to Australia
- Moving back to New Zealand
Good luck with you move to the lucky country and remember, I’m here to help.