Don’t get caught out arriving in Australia without the documentation/paperwork you need!

It will cause you a whole lot of stress, time, and worry!

Australia can be really competitive when it comes to jobs, apartments, and rentals. You might end up in the position where everyone wants the apartment you want and you need to stand out (references).

You will need to prove your identity when applying for a property rental, driver’s licence, a white card or Medicare card, or setting up a mobile or superannuation account.

If you are moving to Australia make sure you have all the below document files in a folder, on an accessible device, and make at least one paper copy. Then you can just send/email or photocopy it when needed.

You don’t want to be emailing people to chase a reference, or worse be asking for for one.

So make sure you have all the correct paperwork ready, so you can compete in the competitive Australian job market and rental applications!

Documents you need when moving to Australia

I recommend you download, scan and save all the below files in a moving to Australia folder and make one physical paper copy. There are still times and people/companies/realtors that require paperwork documentation:

  • Passport
  • Birth certificate
  • Name change certificate
  • Drivers Licence
  • Photo ID (if you don’t have a driver’s licence)
  • Your last 3 months’ bank statements (NZ and/or Australia)
  • Written rental reference from a previous landlord and their contact information (used for both 100 points ID and rental applications)
  • Character references – one professional and one personal (at least)
  • Proof that your last bond was repaid in full (or an explanation as to why it wasn’t)
  • Current Covid requirements: vaccination certificate, foreign vaccination certificate for travel, Digital Passenger Declaration (DPD), negative pre-departure Covid-19 PCR test, your contact details for Australia, and travel history for the previous 14 days. Check current requirements in my Covid-19 post.

Documents you need for your children

When I said people/companies need paperwork, well schools are at the top of the list for what they need for kids and it is generally a physical copy, but make sure you have everything digital.

You are going to need the below documents/paperwork for your children in Australia:

  • Passport
  • Birth certificate
  • Immunization records
  • Plunket baby book
  • One year’s school reports (probably only need the last term or end of year)
  • Proof of Australian Residency or Authority to enroll (don’t need this with an NZ Passport)
  • Baptismal Certificate
  • Court orders (if applicable)
  • Current Covid requirements: the same as above depending on your child’s age. Check current requirements in my Covid-19 post.

Honestly, I am not the first person to wish I had put the time in early and got all the above ready. People need time to forward you the above and there’s nothing worse than being ill-prepared for something you want.

Providing 100 points of identification

You must provide a total of 100 points of Australian and/or New Zealand documents to prove your identity. Depending on what you need the points for, they hold different values. The below is for a rental application but you will also need to prove your identity when it comes to getting a driver’s license, applying for a white card or Medicare card, and setting up a mobile or superannuation account. Although the values are different, the documents are generally the same.

You can use different combinations of documents to make up your 100 points, but you must include at least 1 primary document that has a photograph as part of your 100 points.

100 Points of ID Check

Documents required for 100 points identification checkPer
Passport and visa40 points
Drivers Licence40 points
Photo ID (e.g. 18 plus card, university photo ID)30 points
Birth Certificate30 points
Pay Slips20 points
Medicare Card20 points
Previous Landlord Reference20 points
Birth Certificate20 points
Bank Statement10 points
Utility Bills with Current Address10 points

Schools, doctors, and dentists

Schools, doctors, and dentists will request your medical records, school reports, and dentist records from your NZ provider. So it is better to get these before you leave NZ, as you may need to visit them personally and sign a consent form.

Therefore you should obtain either paper or electronic copies of your medical/dentist records, for yourself and your family. You will need to provide these to your new doctor and dentist.

You could also have them sent directly to your new provider’s office. Be sure these include the results of any lab work, imaging, or other tests you’ve had. It’s a very straightforward process, just a signature on a form.

Contact your child’s current school and notify them your child is leaving. They will have had many children changing school and moving to another country and will give you everything you need.

Your new school in Australia will want at least their last school report but may want further back. It is also very helpful to provide samples of your child’s work – either a Portfolio or a range of work samples in different subject areas.

You might be interested in…

The below posts might interest you:

Still got unanswered questions?

Ask them below in the comment section and I will get back to you asap. You might also find the answers in the questions other visitors have asked.


  1. Sinead

    July 28, 2022 at 1:03 pm

    Hey, your site has been so helpful. Just have one question, we haven’t made the final decision on moving yet as we need to see what we can get for our house. But to get a rental I see they ask for references etc. How do you go about that when you haven’t been renting in New Zealand, or is proof of sale of your home enough?

    • JJ Smith

      July 28, 2022 at 1:23 pm

      Hi Sinead,
      Thanks for your comment.
      This is very common and a rental agent will understand.
      The references are purely there to prove that you are a good tenant, so try and think of another way to show this.
      Make sure that you have all your paperwork ready and prove that you have enough money in the bank to pay the rent.
      If you are close to any of your neighbors in NZ, you could ask them for a personal reference, which would prove that you were a good neighbor and looked after your property. That may give you a little bit of an advantage over other applicants.
      Please feel free to email me back any further questions you have.
      Good luck with your move.

  2. Allan Anderson

    July 7, 2022 at 7:33 am

    We are after some information about moving to Australia permanently.
    We are both retired and receive the NZ pension.
    Can we apply for our NZ pension to be paid in Australia and how do we do this. Our financial situation is comfortable and we do not want to apply for an Aussie pension because it’s means tested. Thanks in advance.

  3. Gordon Scott

    July 6, 2022 at 12:19 pm

    I moved to the Sunshine Coast in March. One comment I’d like to make is this regarding transport, which I haven’t seen covered. Due to flooding over the last few months, hire cars were few if you just turned up at an office to get one, and prices to buy a used car are much higher than normal. Finally, even if you have a NZ driving licence, you must have a QLD license to buy a car here. It’ll take a couple weeks to come through once all the forms are done. Then you can buy a car.

  4. James

    June 19, 2022 at 5:24 pm

    Hi there,

    My partner and I are looking at moving to Canberra early January next year. We are both full-time employed with healthy savings and good references, but currently live with family and don’t have any history of renting. My question is, would this be a big issue for us when looking into getting a rental in Australia, without any rental history here?


    • JJ Smith

      July 1, 2022 at 2:51 pm

      Hi James,
      Thanks for your comment.
      This is a common question I get. If you have good savings and can prove you’re a reliable person you will be fine.
      Make sure you include positive written job references with your rental application and even a personal reference.
      Please feel free to email me back any further questions you have.
      Good luck with your move.

  5. Sujith Zachariah

    June 9, 2022 at 1:25 pm

    Hi, I have a similar question that ask befor about the Australian capital gain tax on NZ property sale.
    We have moved to Perth this year from Auckland. Currently living in a rental home. We have a property in NZ which I forced to rent out as I couldn’t sell it due to the fluctuations in NZ real estate market. I would like to know wether I have to pay any tax on the rental income here in Australia. I am paying Tax in NZ for the rental income.
    My second question is , if I sell the Auckland property later, do I have to pay CGT in Australia? I am exempted from NZ CGT.
    If I have to pay CGT in Australia, how is the capital gain calculated? I bought the property 10 years ago? Do they take the actual property purchase price as the base for the calculation? We are on SCV.
    I have been asking the same questions for a while now and getting different answers from different sources.
    Your help is much appreciated.

    • JJ Smith

      June 13, 2022 at 12:29 pm

      Hi Sujith,
      Thank you for your comment.
      Firstly do you have to pay tax on your NZ rental income, yes you would need to but your accountant can make you a temporary resident for tax purposes, which would make you exempt from tax on their overseas income. Read more here:
      Please note, I am not an accountant and can only advise from what I’ve been able to find out online.
      Regarding paying CGT on the sale of your property, the answer is yes. You can read how this is calculated and use the CGT calculator on the Australia Government ATO website:
      I recommend you find an accountant like Beyond Accountancy above who understand the rules for New Zealaders in Australia and get their expert opinion.
      Please feel free to email me back any further questions you have.

  6. Sam Johnson

    June 7, 2022 at 1:23 pm

    Hi there,
    My partner and I are moving to Brisbane soon and find your website so helpful. You suggested having proof that your last bond was payed back, how do we go about doing this? Do we ask previous landlord for the letter saying it was or is a confirmation of the payment being received from the bank ok?

    • JJ Smith

      June 13, 2022 at 1:30 pm

      Hi Sam,
      Thanks for your comment.
      It depends if you bond was lodged with Tenancy Services or not: If it was you can get proof from them. Landlords and tenants need to complete and submit a bond refund form at the end of the tenancy, so if you didn’t do this then it wasn’t.
      Therefore ask your previous landlord for a rental reference and ask them to include the info that you bond was repaid in full. They shouldn’t have a problem doing this if you were a good tenant and it will greatly help your rental application.
      Please feel free to email me back any further questions you have.
      Good luck with your move.

  7. Brian John Hunt

    March 10, 2022 at 3:23 am

    Being a retired NZ pensioner on the NZ Govt Super I would like to know if my wife and I are eligible to get the Australian Govt Super if and when we move permanently to Queensland. What are the requirements to qualify and what can be filled out before we depart NZ. Thanks in anticipation


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.