Below are a list of frequently asked questions we get regularly. If there is something you want to know please use the comment form at the bottom of the page.

Can New Zealand Citizens work in Australia?

Yes! New Zealand citizens are allowed to remain indefinitely in Australia to live, work or study, as long as they remain NZ citizens, subject to health or character considerations. NZ citizens get granted a SCV (Special Category Visa) when they enter Australia.

As a SCV is not a permanent visa, visa holders do not have the same rights and benefits as Australian citizens or Australian permanent residents. Read here about SCV Visa Exclusions (

Can someone with New Zealand Permanent Residency work in Australia?

Unfortunately New Zealand permanent residency does not entitle you to a SCV (Special Category Visa), which NZ citizens automatically get granted when they enter Australia. If you are a New Zealand permanent resident you will need to apply for a visa to be able to live and work in Australia.

Do New Zealand permanent residents need a visa for Australia?

Yes New Zealanders with permanent residency need a visa to work, study and live in Australia. Most New Zealand citizens can visit, live and work in Australia without applying for a tourist or work visa.

Permanent residents in NZ need to apply for a visa. Use the visa wizard below to find out what visa you should apply for:

Australia Visa Wizard:
The Visa Wizard can help you find the Australian visa most likely to meet your specific circumstances.

Australian Visa Application forms:

Can New Zealand citizens study in Australia?

Yes New Zealand citizens can study in Australia at an Australian tertiary institution. New Zealanders are also eligible to pay domestic fee instead of international fees.

However, most New Zealand citizens will not be eligible for any kind of student loan to pay university fees, or be eligible for a student allowance to pay for living costs. You will need to get Australian citizenship to get a student loan.

You can use the Citizenship Wizard on the Australian Government website. It will give you information about what to do and how to apply for Australian citizenship:

Australia Citizenship Wizard:

Can Kiwis live in Australia?

That depends… Under the SCV (Special Category Visa) New Zealanders are allowed to work and live in Australia indefinitely. They can live, work, study, purchase property and enjoy beautiful Australia.

However, there is no pathway to citizenship under the SCV – regardless of how long Kiwi expats live in Australia or how much they earn. They would need to apply for citizenship like the rest of the world.

Can Australian citizens live and work in New Zealand?

Flip yeah! Australian citizens are able to live, work or study in New Zealand.

Australian citizens do not need a work visa to work in New Zealand. This is also the case if you are the holder of a current Australian permanent residence visa including a current Australian resident return visa.

When can I apply for citizenship in Australia?

To be eligible to apply for Australian citizenship you must be living in Australia on a valid Australian visa for four years and have not been absent from Australia for more than 1 year total, or been living in Australia for 12 months as a permanent resident.

If you are a New Zealander you must have some Australian blood/annestry to apply directly for citizenship. Otherwise you are required to get a Australian permanent visa. This will allow you to access certain social security payments, obtain Australian citizenship or sponsor their family members for permanent residence.

Want to know something else about Moving to Australia?

Send us your question or comment below…


  1. Cara Burgess

    November 7, 2018 at 8:46 am

    Hi There,

    Thanks for replying to my previous question. I do have another one though, do our NZ passports need to have 6 mths left on them when we enter Australia?
    Also can we enter without a job? Hubby is applying for jobs but we want to be there before January 2019 so the kids can start their new schools on the first day of term.

    Thanks in advance

    • JJ Smith

      November 13, 2018 at 10:04 pm

      Hi Cara,
      I can not find any info that addresses the period of time needed on your passport when moving to Australia. Australia requires that your passport must be valid only for the period of your intended travel in and out of Australia, which doesn’t answer your question. Therefore six months should definitely be sufficient.
      Yes you can move without a job. Just be aware that you will not get Government help. You can read the SCV exclusions here:
      Good luck with your move.

  2. txcoe

    September 21, 2018 at 2:01 am


    I have been convicted assault and cultivation of cannabis in the past 12 months. I am serving 40 hours community service and 9 months supervision.
    Do I need to apply for a visa to go to Australia or just tick the declaration box on the arrivals card?

    • JJ Smith

      October 28, 2018 at 11:31 pm

      Hi Txcoe,
      Thank you for your enquiry.
      I would definitely recommend going through the process of obtaining written confirmation from DIBP (Department of Immigration and Border Protection) before you travel to Australia. This will reduce a lot of stress and time when you enter Australia.
      You can find all the info you need here: This process takes approximately three weeks from the date the completed form is received by the Consulate.
      Good luck with your move.

  3. Jazlyn

    September 17, 2017 at 5:05 am

    What’s the ‘Trade Me’ equivalent for Australia? Is there a site where you can view property, jobs and bits and bobs at?

    • JJ Smith

      September 26, 2017 at 10:17 pm

      Hi Jazlyn,
      Thank you for your comment.
      The Australian equivalent of TradeMe is Gum Tree: They list everything including cars, jobs, real estate, and many more categories.
      Good luck with your move.

  4. Zane

    September 11, 2017 at 10:25 pm

    Hi, I had a drink driving conviction 16 years ago so was wanting to know what type of visa I need etc to live and work in Aussie. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    • JJ Smith

      May 24, 2018 at 1:34 am

      Hi Zane,
      Thank you for your comment.
      If you have not had an jail time you will not need to apply for a Visa if you have a New Zealand passport. So feel free to buy your ticket and go. You will automatically get awarded a CSV on entry through Australian border control.
      Please let me know if you do not hold an NZ passport.

  5. Hayley Pfiszter

    June 6, 2017 at 12:55 am

    Hi, my husband has an Australian passport and spent the first 2 years of his life in Brisbane, the rest in NZ. My children and I have NZ passports. What does that entitle us to? Can we apply for citizenship under his passport? Just thinking for kids at uni, social, health etc.. We are going to moving there in 2 months time.
    Thanks Hayley

  6. Marcia

    June 3, 2017 at 12:33 am

    Hi can you please tell me what are the requirements ie: how many years must I have worked in oz before being entitled to a pension and do I have to be a pr or citizen to claim?
    Thank you in advance.

    • JJ Smith

      June 18, 2017 at 10:27 pm

      Thank you for your comment.
      From my research you do need to be an Australian Resident and have lived in Australia for 10 years.
      New Zealand citizens may also be eligible for age pension in Australia as long as they were in Australia on the date 26th February 2001, or were living in the country for at least one year in the two years before this qualifying date.
      I recommend you read the following page:
      You can talk to your bank regarding the Australian Pension because they can apply on your behalf.
      Good luck with your move.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.