What you need to do when
Below is our Moving to Australia Checklist (Pre Move Planner). Let us help you organize and plan your move. You can download a printable version here, ready for you to print and put on your fridge – MTA-MovePlannerChecklist.pdf.
4 weeks before you move to Australia:
- Ensure passports, visas and any travel bookings are finalised.
- Contact Post Office and request change of address forms for redirection of mail.
- Contact your doctors, dentist, schools and request all records be sent out to you.
(Tip: Ask Doctors and Dentists for referrals to reputable Health professionals in your new location).
- If you haven’t already started, now would be a good time to start discarding unwanted items.
- Advise your bank and credit card companies to arrange transfer of funds and/or termination of your account.
- Notify the following departments/groups letting them know of your move:
– Department of Inland Revenue (IRD)
– Electoral Registrar
– Your local council
– Police Department if you hold firearms licence
– Your solicitors
– Your church or clubs you belong too
– Publications to which you subscribe (cancel or transfer subscription)
– Friends or Family
- Choose and confirm your furniture removal with your chosen international moving company. And any other aspects of your move packing, storage, insurance, documentation, your pets etc.
2 weeks before you move to Australia:
- Ensure to discontinue the following:
– Milk/bread delivery
– Newspaper delivery
– Gas and electricity
– Water services
- You can’t take plants with you, so start giving them away.
- Organise someone to look after your children and pets on the day of the move.
- Return all items burrowed and collect items on loan.
- Arrange for disposal of anything unwanted you have not got rid of.
Dispose of items that cannot be moved, such as inflammable liquids.
- Transfer prescriptions and be sure you have an adequate supply of medications on hand.
- Assemble a file folder of information to leave for the new owner of your home.
- Take animals to vet for immunization if necessary.
- Personal accident and medical insurance arranged.
- Inoculations for yourself and family done.
- Power of Attorney arranged.
- Collect any laundry from drycleaners.
- Remove all food from the refrigerator, and defrost the freezer.
- Disconnect electrical appliances.
- Empty the fuel and oil from mowers and clean.
- Empty gas bottles.
- Clean out medicine cabinet and dispose in a safe way. I.e. via the chemist of unwanted medicines.
- Arrange an easy meal for moving day with disposable utensils, or eat out.
- Dispose of or arrange storage for unwanted furniture.
- Return any borrowed items and garden tools
- Set aside jewelry, money, valuable documents, travel documents, stamp collection, to take in your possession. Don’t forget to books and games for the children.
- Lock up pets if required
- Arrange for someone to mind the children on move day
On move day:
- Be sure someone is at the old house to answer questions.
- Anything left behind? Check prior to leaving the garage, under the house or in unused cupboards.
- No clothes at the dry cleaners, goods at repairers
- Keys surrendered
- Has your new house been cleaned prior to moving in – its easier to do when its empty.
Handy Hints for your move to Australia:
- Ensure fridge/freezer cleaned – wipe out using a damp cloth with vanilla essence, blow dry especially corners, put silica gel into fresh a compartment or four to five tea bags which will soak up any moisture and will ensure it won’t go mouldy.
- Don’t place breakables, liquids or heavy items in drawers
- Avoid overloading drawers with linen etc, and don’t forget to check that all items have been moved.
Want to know how much it will cost to move your household goods to Australia?
We have partnered with accredited moving companies all around the world to assist you with your international move. Simply select where you are moving to and from, fill out the quick form, sit back and let the moving companies do the rest. Save time and money by comparing reliable and trusted international moving companies.