What you need to be aware of when you move to Australia on an SCV
There are a number of exclusions to government help that you should be aware of when moving to Australia on a SCV (special category visa).
As a New Zealander you have a unique opportunity if you’re considering moving to Australia. Australia and New Zealand have a Trans-Tasman Travel Arrangement that allows their citizen’s to visit, study, live and work in either NZ or Australia for as long or little as they want. However, there are exclusions as below.
Read my Australia Visa post for more information on an SCV’s, entitlements, waiting periods for government support and more.
New Zealanders in Australia
(On non-protected Special Category Visas)
- Are entitled to family payments, including Family Tax Benefit, Newborn Upfront Payment and Newborn Supplement, Child Care Subsidy and Parental Leave Pay, and medical care under Medicare.
- But are excluded from Newstart Allowance (unemployment) benefits, Parenting Payment and Youth Allowance.
- Kiwis living in Australia continuously for 10 years since February 2001 might be eligible for once-only Newstart and Youth Allowances for up to six months.
- Are not entitled to Austudy and HELP student loans, whether on protected or non-protected SCVs.
- Are excluded from the new Disability Insurance Scheme, including children of NZ parentage born in Australia.
- Cannot receive Disability Support Pension for non-work-related disabilities developed while living in Australia.
- Excluded from new payments for Australian residents injured by terrorist attacks abroad.
- Have no automatic path to permanent residency or citizenship and are required to compete with other migrants on the basis of required skills.
- Excluded from disability support services in Queensland, which is now amending anti-discrimination laws to allow exclusion of New Zealanders.
- Do not have access to public housing in Queensland, Western Australia and New South Wales, which also now refuses Kiwis emergency accommodation.
- Have been excluded from student concessionary travel in Victoria, including primary and secondary school pupils and extending to all New Zealanders regardless of date of arrival. This is now subject to an anti-discrimination case.
Australians in New Zealand
- Can apply for all Winz payments including disability assistance and allowances, domestic purposes benefits, accommodation supplement, childcare assistance, health-related benefits, sickness benefit, temporary additional support, unemployment benefit, disaster relief recovery payments.
- Unlike expat Kiwi victims of floods and Cyclone Yasi (initially refused emergency payments but after pressure granted one-off assistance), Australians in Christchurch qualified for the same earthquake assistance as New Zealanders.
- After two years are eligible for tertiary student allowances and can apply for student loans.
- After three years’ residence can apply for citizenship.
You might be interested in…
The below posts might interest you:
Still got unanswered questions?
Ask them below in the comment section and I will get back to you asap. You might also find the answers in the questions other visitors have asked.