Moving to Australia from New Zealand?

Get all information you need to make a successful and stress-free move across the ditch.

It’s time to make a plan for filing your Australian tax return, with the year ending 30 June!

New Zealand citizens are treated as residents for tax purposes once they complete a stay of six consecutive months in Australia (183 days), like in New Zealand with the IRD, you need to complete and file a tax return in Australia with the Australia Tax Office (ATO).

Income tax is applied to an individual’s taxable income and is paid on all forms of income. This includes wages from your job, profits from business and returns from investments (including rental properties in NZ). Income tax can also apply to assets such as when a house or shares are sold, whether in Australia or New Zealand.

The Australian tax year runs from 1 July to 30 June. When you lodge a tax return you include how much money you’ve earnt (income) and any expenses you can claim as a deduction.

On this page you will find the following information:

Information you need to lodge an Australian Tax Return

To lodge your tax return you need the following information:

  • bank account details (BSB and account number)
  • income statement or payment summaries from all of your employers
  • payment summaries from Centrelink (Services Australia)
  • receipts or statements for the expenses you are claiming as deductions
  • your spouse’s income (if you have one)
  • private health insurance information (if you have coverage)

If you are using a registered tax agent like TaxBack, all you need to give them is:

  • your PAYG form
  • a copy of your ID
  • your TFN number and
  • a signed letter of engagement.

Then they will do the rest! No Refund, No Fee! TaxBack will check if you’re due a refund but if you’re not, you don’t have to pay them a penny!

Due dates for your tax return

If you’re lodging your own tax return, you need to lodge it by 31 October each year. If 31 October falls on a weekend, the due date to lodge your tax return is the next business day after 31 October.

If you choose to use the services of a registered tax agent, they will generally have special lodgment schedules and can lodge returns for clients later than 31 October. If you are using a registered tax agent, you need to engage them before 31 October.

If you’re having difficulties meeting your tax obligations or are unable to lodge by 31 October, contact the ATO as soon as possible.

If you lodge your own tax return and it results in a tax bill, payment is due by 21 November.

How do I claim tax back from Australia?

You can apply for your refund for free online at, however, it can be extremely confusing! We recommend using a Tax Agent if you feel need some help.

We recommend TaxBack. TaxBack has branches in 12 countries including Australia and NZ and can help you with a straightforward return, or with something more tricky like earning money in both countries, rental income and/or living in one country while being paid from another.

The average Australian tax refund is $2600. The amount of Australian tax you get back depends on a number of factors like how long you worked, how much you earned and how much tax you paid. The TaxBack accountants are experts in Australian tax so they will make sure you get the maximum Australian tax refund legally available.

How to apply for your refund through TaxBack

Simply register online and their experienced team of tax experts will handle all of the tax paperwork, ensure you are taking advantage of every relief you’re entitled to and will transfer your refund straight to your bank account anywhere in the world. charge per tax return is 9% of the refund + handling fee (minimum fee of $99 + handling fee). Document Retrieval Fee is AU$40 + handling fee services, per document. These are very standard charges. By hiring a capable and more importantly, reliable, tax accountant, you’ll be able to see a huge difference in retained funds for personal.

Best service comes to a certain price but will make sure that you get everything done hassle-free and get your maximum refund in the fastest ways possible!

However, TaxBack have a special policy for Moving to Australia referrals – No Refund, No Fee! They will check if you’re due a refund but if you’re not, you don’t have to pay them a penny!

Find out more information about and its services at When you go through to, you should click through to the ‘Australian citizen and permanent resident‘ section as most New Zealanders are regarded as residents for tax purposes. Here is the link to their tax return application:

What happens if I don’t do my tax return in Australia?

All Australians who earn above the $18,200 tax-free threshold are required by law to file a tax return. Failure to do so can lead to penalties and fines and so it’s advisable to file on time and compliantly.

TaxBack Tax Refund Services In Australia

Working holiday tax refunds

Have you worked full or part-time in Australia for over 6 months?

If so, whether you’re still in Oz or back home claim your Australian tax refund now! TaxBack has been providing Australian tax refunds for working holidaymakers since 2001.

Superannuation Refunds

When you are working in Australia, your employer makes payments into a superannuation fund on your behalf.

Once you leave Australia permanently TaxBack can get your superannuation to refund back. Super refunds can be worth thousands of dollars! Talk to TaxBack about your superannuation refund today.

Australian Citizen Tax Return

All Australian citizens and residents are required to submit a tax return at the end of the financial year. That includes NZ citizens living in Australia. Failure to do so can lead to penalties and fines. The TaxBack Oz tax team will file your tax return for you and check if you’re due a tax refund.

Student tax refunds if you studied in Australia

If you’re working part-time to help fund your studies in Australia, TaxBack can help you get back the tax you’ve paid on your earnings with our Student Tax Return service. They’ll also check if you are due back any other tax relief.

Mining, Oil and Gas Workers

If you’re a miner or oil or gas worker in Australia, you’re obliged to file an annual tax return. You may also be due a tax refund, and if you’re working in a remote location, you may qualify for a ‘Zone Tax Offset’. Our specially tailored service for Australian oil, gas and mining workers will make sure you claim back all relevant expenses and avail of all the tax relief you’re entitled to.

The link for the online application is the same for every type of return:

Australian Tax Calculator

If you’ve ever worked Down Under, you probably paid tax and are due an Australian tax refund. This calculator is FREE to use and will give you an instant Australian tax refund estimation. The average Australian tax refund with is AU$2600 so it’s well worth checking out the online tax calculator now.

Use TaxBack’s Australian tax refund estimator now and you are one step closer to getting your Oz tax refund!

Australian tax calculator facts

  • It provides an instant Oz tax refund estimation
  • The Australian tax estimator takes just 2 minutes to fill out
  • We’ll send a copy of your tax refund calculation straight to your inbox!
  • The online Australian tax calculator is FREE
  • The Oz tax calculator provides a no-obligation way to find out what you’re owed! provides personal & corporate tax solutions. They will help you claim tax refunds and file tax returns. Get your tax back today!

Paying the ATO from overseas (NZ)

Paying the Australian Taxation Office from overseas just got easier through OFX. What does this mean for you?

Any payment you make via OFX to the ATO will be directly reconciled with your unique “PRN” (Payment Reference Number). You no longer have to transfer money back to your Australian bank account, or pay with your credit card, meaning you can say goodbye to unnecessary FX fees and hello to competitive exchange rates. You can make payments in over 20 currencies.

How does this work?

  • Helping individuals – if you’re new to OFX you can register here or log in to OFX using this link. “ATO” will be added as a recipient within your OFX account. Then you’re ready to go.
  • Helping small and medium businesses – paying capital gains tax, GST, or company taxes? Here’s what you need to do. If you’re new to OFX you can register here or if you’re an existing OFX Customer you need to call OFX and they’ll get the “ATO” set up as a recipient within your OFX account. Then you’re ready to go.
  • Once the ATO has been set up on your account, simply
    1. Select your currency and enter your payment amount
    2. Enter your PRN (Payment Reference Number); you can find it on your ATO statement
    3. Send your funds to OFX

    OFX will do the rest and fast, and we’ll confirm your payment directly with the ATO.

Read more about OFX and paying the ATO through them here.

About TaxBack

TaxBack provide global tax return filing and tax refund services

Many people pay too much tax because they don’t understand their entitlements. TaxBack’s ISO 9001-certified team of tax experts are dedicated to helping you file fully compliant returns and ensuring you claim back any overpaid tax, guaranteeing peace of mind and more money in your pocket.

With over 1 million taxes filed over a 20+ years period, the TaxBack team will respond to your queries promptly with the same professionalism and integrity they use to do your taxes.

They’re a global company nowadays so it’s hard to believe that they began at a kitchen table with a young Irish guy preparing German tax returns for his university friends.

After a summer working abroad in Germany, he found it frustratingly difficult to try and reclaim the German tax they had overpaid. That was why he took matters into his own hands and did it himself. Back then, there was no network of offices all over the world; he was helped by his mother who looked after the administration and phone calls. That was seventeen years ago and things didn’t stay like that for long…

Very quickly, that little acorn started to grow and a team of entrepreneurial business executives set about cultivating a global organisation. This organisation went on to take root in 33 offices in 23 countries and now employs a team of over 1100.

TaxBack now forms part of the Clune Technology Group, formerly Taxback Group, which offers a suite of services including specialist tax return, finance and travel consultancy services for individual and corporate clients.

They’ve moved into the corporate sector too, leveraging their tax expertise across multiple jurisdictions to bring new services to market at competitive prices.

Read more about TaxBack here.

You might also be interested in…

The below posts might interest you:

Still, got unanswered questions?

If you’ve read the above content and the answer to your question isn’t there, please write a comment below and I’ll research the answer for you. Please note, if the answer to your question is in the content above, I will not reply. Sorry, I just get too many questions these days and I can’t keep up.

Can I help you find something else?

f you need advice on moving to Australia from New Zealand, I’ve created a helpful little questionnaire to point you in the right direction. It takes less than 30 seconds, so give it a go!


  1. Fiona

    July 1, 2021 at 2:33 am

    I am currently being paid the aged pension in NZ by the NZ Government, while Centerlink sorts out my Australian aged pension. Tax is paid in NZ from this payment.
    the amount for the tax year ended June 21 is less than $3000. Will I need to complete a tax return in Australia?

    • JJ Smith

      July 4, 2021 at 11:41 pm

      Hi Fiona,
      Thank you for your comment.
      Have you lived in Australia for more than six months?
      If you have I recommend you complete the hassle-free tax refund offer TaxBack have for moving to Australia clients and they will advise:
      If you don’t get a refund them you don’t have to pay any fees.
      The process is simple:
      Fill out the short form
      – TaxBack will provide you with a free tax refund estimation
      – If you are happy to proceed, they will file your tax return and get the maximum refund legally possible
      – Your refund is then sent directly to your bank account via their secure payments system
      Please feel free to email me back any further questions you have.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.