Moving to Australia from New Zealand?

Get all information you need to make a successful and stress-free move across the ditch.

Moving to Australia and want to find a suitable job?

If you are a New Zealand citizen, you are legally able to work in Australia. If you are not a New Zealand or Australian citizen, you may need to apply for a work visa.

Hunting for jobs in Australia is very similar to looking for a job in New Zealand. The majority of jobs are advertised online, mostly by recruitment companies but also by individual employers.

Editors note: Australia Job Listings Coming!

I am getting more and more enquiries from Australian companies looking to recruit directly from New Zealand, so I have decided to add job listings to my website.

If you are an employer and are interested in posting your job vacancies here then please fill out the below form and I will notify you with more infromation and instructions on how to add your job listings.

If you are a visitor, make sure you are registered for my newsletter, so you are the first to know when the job vacanies are live.

On this page you will find the below helpful information:

Australian Tax and getting an Australian Tax File Number (TFN)

If you want to know your tax obligations in Australia you should read our Australian Tax – what you need to know page. On this page, you can find out the current Australian tax rates and how to get a TFN.

You need to apply for a TFN number after you’ve arrived in Australia. You are not able to apply from New Zealand. Find out how to get a TFN here

Looking for a job in Australia from NZ

It isn’t easy to land a job in Australia by visiting Australian job listing websites. However, you can still gain a lot of knowledge from them, e.g. the size of the industry and opportunities, current wages, the process of how to apply. Searching can give you a lot of hope.

Depending on your industry, it can be worth searching Google Australia companies in your industry and approaching them direct. New Zealanders have a great reputation in Australia and around the world as being hard workers. Combine that with the fact that we can’t fall back on government support, we are known as being very reliable.

Current skill shortages in Australia

A significant shortage in skilled labour across Australia is negatively impacting production, services, and supply chains. And while the latest wave of the COVID-19 pandemic has exacerbated the problem, it has been an issue since the beginning of the Covid-19 pandemic and will continue to be one when the effects of the virus wane.

Some industries that have major shortages at the moment are hospitality, the health sector, engineers, trades, technicians, truck drivers and digital. Australia has always relied upon skilled migrant workers, e.g. skilled migrants, international students and backpackers, which haven’t been able to get into Australia due to the global Covid-19 pandemic.

It’s likely that the skilled worker shortage in Australia will worsen before it gets better. With many of the industries affected it takes on average three to four years to qualify and that is before developing proficiency. You can read more on the skill shortage in Australia here.

As a result, I’ve heard from a lot more New Zealanders who have already secured jobs from New Zealand, before they move to Australia.

This leaves a lot of opportunities for New Zealanders looking at moving to Australia!

Documentation needed when moving to Australia

Don’t get caught out arriving in Australia without the documentation/paperwork you need. It will cause you a whole lot of stress, time and worry!

Especially when it comes to the competitive Australian job market. Be prepared and get a better-paid job in Australia.

Read more in my documentation needed when moving to Australia post.

Main Australian job-hunting websites

These are the top Australian job listing websites:

For general information on employment in Australia, career advice, resume templates, salary surveys and more visit http://www.employmentguide.com.au

Increase Your Success in the Australian Job Market

When it comes to moving overseas and finding work, many things will determine your success, but we think the greatest factor is preparation. Read the full post here.

Things you shouldn’t put on your resume if you want to get the job

Australian recruiters are astounded at how many mistakes job seekers make with their resumes. Here are the key things to avoid. Read the full post here.

Recruitment Agencies for Jobs In Australia

Like New Zealand, it is extremely worthwhile registering with a recruitment agency. They will help you find a new job and can even find you a job while you are still in New Zealand. I recommend you search Google the recruitment agencies in Australia that specialise in your industry. Whether it be:

• Healthcare Recruitment
  • Accounting Recruitment Agencies
  • Information Technology (IT) Recruitment Agencies
  • Executive Recruitment Agencies.

Register your interest in Australian Job Vacancies

If you have job vacancies in Australia and want to recruit directly from New Zealand, then register your interest below and I will send you more information when I have added job listings functionality:

This form uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your data is processed.

If you are a visitor and want to find a job in Australia, then make sure you are registered for my newsletter so you know when job listings have been added:

You might be interested in…

The below posts might interest you:

Still, got unanswered questions?

If you’ve read the above content and the answer to your question isn’t there, please write a comment below and I’ll research the answer for you. Please note, if the answer to your question is in the content above, I will not reply. Sorry, I just get too many questions these days and I can’t keep up.

Can I help you find something else?

If you need advice on moving to Australia from New Zealand, I’ve created a helpful little questionnaire to point you in the right direction. It takes less than 30 seconds, so give it a go!

75 Comments

1. Sam

February 3, 2020 at 11:20 pm

Hello,
      My name is Sam and I currently live in Christchurch, NZ.
      I have been thinking about this for a while now and want to move over to Tasmania.
      My partner and I have been in a long distance relationship for the past 2 years and things are getting quite serious between us.
      At the moment, I am enrolled to start a course at the end of February but I am unsure if I want to do it. I have looked at TasTafe and have found some interesting courses I could look at doing overseas instead.
      I am thinking that I can look at getting employment at a local supermarket to help afford a rental along with my partner, while also studying abroad.
      What kind of advice would you have for me in regards to this?
      Sincerely,
      Sam

• JJ Smith

February 3, 2020 at 11:21 pm

Hi Sam,
        Thank you for your email.
        Your plan does sound viable for sure. Tasmania is awesome! It’s beautiful, cultured, the people are fantastic and the food is delicious.
        Renting is a bit cheaper and wages are higher. As long as you have good references you should not have a problem.
        There is one major expense you need to consider, how you will pay for university? Unfortunately kiwi’s moving to Australia on an SCV can’t get student loans. Here is a post you need to read: https://www.movingtoaustralia.co.nz/scv-visa-exclusions/.
        Here is a post on how to become an Australian Permanent Resident then Australia Citizen: https://www.movingtoaustralia.co.nz/become-an-australian-permanent-resident-and-australia-citizen/, as this is the only way you can get a student loan to study in Australia
        Please feel free to email me back any further questions you have.
        Good luck with your move.

2. Michael

January 2, 2020 at 1:29 am

Hi there,
      My name is Michael. I’m a 36 year old Kiwi living in Auckland NZ.
      I’m looking for some advice on moving to Brisbane starting from scratch knowing no one there. I’m looking for advice on where to start, accommodation etc.
      I’m currently a Business Development Manager working in the NZ construction industry and I intend to apply for work in the same field. I have reached out to one recruitment agency and their recommendation is that I move over first. Can I have your opinion on this?
      I look forward to hearing from you.
      Kind regards

3. Rowan Guitry

September 17, 2019 at 12:25 am

Hi JJ
      My family and i wish to move to Australia and i am trying to get my qualifications in emergency response recognized in Australia. I am looking at mines rescue type roles but they require a cert 3 in mines rescue, i have most units that make up this cert and understand that i may have to do some specific training in Australia i just don’t want to start from scratch if i don’t have to. Do you have any experience in getting NZQA units transferred to Australian standard?
      Thanks
      Rowan

• JJ Smith

September 19, 2019 at 11:13 pm

Hi Rowan,
        Thank you for your comment.
        Unfortunately I don’t have any experience with transferring NZQA. However, I have read that it possible.
        I recommend you contact MSS Strategic Medical and Rescue: https://msssecurity.com.au/contact/. They are a provider of premium emergency response and rescue, and health/paramedical services across Australia. I personally get a better response from calling rather than emailing.
        Please feel free to email me back any further questions you have.
        Good luck with your move.

4. Jo

June 25, 2019 at 2:09 am

Hi JJ. My son has been thinking about moving to Aus to take up a building apprenticeship.
      He has only done a little research on this so far and I will send him a link to your website. (It’s awesome!)
      Can NZrs get apprenticeships in Aus? I would rather he did his apprenticeship here then moved once qualified and a little older. Free fees for first two years here and hes only 19.
      Cheers, Jo

5. Kaylah

June 5, 2019 at 10:22 pm

Hi there,
      My husband and I are contemplating moving to Australia. I do have 1 question regarding the licences required to get into a construction labourers job as that is my husbands passion. We did send emails out to the agencies we found on Google asking what was required but nobody has gotten back to us yet.
      Thanks

• JJ Smith

June 5, 2019 at 10:25 pm

Hi Kaylah,
        Thanks for your comment.
        I’m happy to look into this further for you, but I need more information about what licences your husband currently has and what state you want to move to.
        This is something I get asked a couple of times a year and I can’t find any answers online and recruitment companies get so many enquiries they never get back to anyone from NZ.
        Thanks

6. nigel_nz

January 18, 2019 at 3:13 am

Hi there, I’m planning to move to Australia soon and I have been applying for jobs whilst I’m still here in NZ, as I wanted to take the less risky approach. I noticed that some recruiters aren’t interested once they found out that the application came from overseas. It feels like your application automatically takes a back sit, unless you have local contact details. Most of the people I knew gave up their jobs, went to Australia, applied and got a job. On the other hand, I know a few lucky people (only 2) who got a job in Aus while still here in NZ.

I guess it is normal and locals will be given priority over overseas applicants, but this is just my observation and I might be wrong. What do you think? It might really be better to take the risk and go to Aus. Finding a job in Aus while in NZ might be like trying to win a lottery.

• JJ Smith

March 20, 2019 at 10:46 pm

Hi Nigel,
        Sorry for the delay in replaying. Your enquiry got lost over the school holidays.
        Honestly if I was you I would keep an eye out for cheap flights and I would visit the city you are planning on moving to in Australia and go see recruitment companies that recruit in your industry and discuss your situation with them. This will show you are serious and get someone else helping you find a job. Of course could call some companies first and see if you can get anywhere.
        However, if you can stay with friends and do really want to live in Australia… then just do it! Make the move and do some serious job hunting as soon as you arrive.
        Make sure you read this article helping you increase your success in the Australian job market: https://www.movingtoaustralia.co.nz/expats-increase-your-success-in-the-australian-job-market/.
        Please feel free to email me back any further questions you have.

• Michelle Middleton

May 13, 2019 at 3:13 am

Hi, we are an experienced teaching couple with two girls who are aged 11 and 13. We are keen to secure permanent teaching positions either on the Gold Coast or South Brisbane in 2020. Both of us are at reputable primary and secondary schools in NZ. My husband teaches at an all girls Catholic school. I can’t seem to know where to start to get things rolling. Thanks, any advice worth it as I’ve looked on seek.com.au

7. Ramari

January 14, 2019 at 12:56 am

Hi

I am a qualified NZ Teacher looking to relocate to the Gold Coast Australia. Do I need further qualifications to work in the GC and teach?

• JJ Smith

January 21, 2019 at 9:06 pm

Hi Ramari,
        Thank you for your comment.
        I’ve looked into teaching in Australia as a New Zealander and have found out that all states have their own set of rules.
        Have you seen the this site for teaching in Queensland – https://teach.qld.gov.au/?
        Here is the link to the eligibility page: https://teach.qld.gov.au/apply-to-teach/teacher-eligibility.
        To be eligible to be employed as a teacher in any Queensland school, you need to obtain teacher registration from the Queensland College of Teachers (QCT). The QCT is a separate authority to the department and manages all teacher registrations in Queensland, including state and non-state schools. Here’s the registration page: https://teach.qld.gov.au/study-teaching/professional-requirements/teaching-registration.
        This would be a great way to start, as they might be able to help you find employment too. Please let me know how you get on.
        Good luck with your move.

8. Ata

November 10, 2018 at 2:02 am

Hi there! I’m not sure if this is still being looked at as the latest replies are from 2013 but worth a shot. I’m looking to move over to Australia (Melbourne) next year in April/May and I was wondering how early I should start looking at jobs.

• JJ Smith

December 3, 2018 at 1:16 am

Hi Ata,
        Thank you for your comment and yes I’m still here helping kiwis moving to Australia.
        Personally I would start looking now to get a feel of the Australian job market. It is more competitive than NZ, but other than that pretty similar.
        Most companies will expect you to have to give two weeks to a months notice, depending on the industry you are in, so start at least six weeks before you move.
        If you haven’t already have a read of this post: https://www.movingtoaustralia.co.nz/expats-increase-your-success-in-the-australian-job-market/.
        I also recommend listing with recruitment companies in your field, as they will not only be able to help you find a job, but help you along the way.
        Good luck with your move.

9. CJ

August 28, 2018 at 11:36 pm

Hi,

I am a New Zealand Citizen. I have a B.Ed from an Australian University. Would this help me to find employment in Australia?

Thanks
      CJ

• JJ Smith

September 5, 2018 at 9:29 pm

Hi CJ,
        Thanks for your comment.
        Possibly. Unfortunately there are too many other variables for me to comment.
        Make sure you put your best foot forward when appying for jobs and if you are not currently living in Australia start job searching to see what you need to secure the job you want.
        Good luck.

10. Paea

February 23, 2015 at 9:28 am

Hi, been thinking about moving to Australia for a few years now but finally decided its time to actually do some research. Im looking at moving some time this year, have been managing a Finance Branch for 3-4 years now. Currently studying to become an AFA. I love my job, boss and staff but at the end of the day, I have a family to support. Are there any vacancies in Brisbane to do with Finance, Credit controlling, customer service, management, call centres. Please advise 🙂 Thank You

• JJ Smith

February 23, 2015 at 9:28 am

Hi,
        Thank you for your enquiry.
        Unfortunately at this stage we are not partnered with a recruitment company so I can’t help you.
        However, I recommend you contact Robert Walters in Australia http://www.robertwalters.com.au/. They should be able to help you.
        Any feedback you could give us would be greatly appreciated.

11. Michael Fisher

November 6, 2014 at 7:38 am

I might be moving to Australia in August 2015 on a 1 year work visa. I have a Class-A CDL in the state of WA, USA with doubles/triples , and tankers endorsements. I was curious if you knew of any programs that would help me acquire employment before I left the states for Australia?
      any info would help.
      Thanks,
      Michael Fisher

• JJ Smith

November 6, 2014 at 7:55 am

Hi Michael,
        Thank you for your enquiry.
        Sorry I do not know of any licence conversion type programs you would need to do.
        However, I do recommend you contact Robert Walters (http://www.robertwalters.com.au/) in Australia and see what they recommend and if they can even help you find employment.
        Good luck with your move.

12. Georgia

April 9, 2014 at 4:30 pm

At what point before moving over do you recommend we start applying for jobs?
      We leave NZ on May 25th.

• JJ Smith

April 10, 2014 at 4:39 am

Hi Georgia,
        It’s a hard question to answer. I recommend getting in touch with a recruitment company that definitely recruits in your industry and covers the location you are looking at heading to ASAP and ask them.
        Otherwise it wouldn’t hurt to start looking and applying as each job will be different. You would also gain valuable information on the Australian job market, which can only be beneficial.
        Good luck with your move.

13. Julie Sutton

March 10, 2014 at 5:03 am

Hello, I heard that Kiwi’s can apply, or aren’t allowed to work for the Australian Government. Is this true or is it just selected government departments Kiwi’s, being non-citizens, can’t work for?

• JJ Smith

March 15, 2014 at 10:09 am

Hi Julie,
        Thank you for your comment.
        I have not been able to find a definitive answer to your question.
        I contacted an Australian government department and got the below reply:
        Dear MTA,
        Thank you for contacting Australian JobSearch.
        If you want to migrate to Australia, you can apply through the General Skilled Migration or other migration programs.
        For information on migration, including having your skills assessed, see the Department of Immigration and Border Protection http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/
        You can phone the visa enquiries phone line on 131 881 (within Australia) or visit the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website at http://www.immi.gov.au
        Alternatively you can contact your local embassy who will be able to assist you with further information:
        If you have any further questions please call the Department enquiry line on 1300 363 079.
        Kind Regards,
        Australian JobSearch
        Job Seeker Hotline: 13 62 68
        Employer Hotline: 13 17 15
        I recommend that you call any of the above.
        Let me know if you find out if you can or can’t for sure.
        Thanks

14. Doreen

June 29, 2013 at 11:56 am

HI,
      I’m planning to Re-locate to Brisbane with my 6 year old son for better career in the future for me and better son and life style both for me and my son. I have worked in the customer services, medical and finance industry. I don’t know where do I start from. How can I secure a job before selling and moving to Brisbane for good. Please help me with some advice.

15. JJ Smith

May 7, 2013 at 8:43 am

Hi Ellie,
      Thank you for your enquiry.
      Yes it would be as tough in Australia as it is in New Zealand to find a job and it is definitely easier for skilled workers to find jobs in Australia.
      The big difference is between the countries is the Australian government will not support you while you are looking for a job.
      I recommend you start looking on the Australian job listing websites and contacting recruitment companies and see how you go. If you can find a job in Australia, it is very likely to be better paid than it is in New Zealand.
      I also recommend moving in or close to family so that you have support if you need it.
      Good Luck!